April 22, is Earth Day, a day of observance to increase the awareness and appreciation of the Earth’s environment.
More than 500 million people in the world will celebrate Earth Day. One of the most popular ways communities are commemorating this observance is through recycling efforts. You too can make personal strides to reduce waste, and prevent pollution.
According to Vincent Cobb somewhere between 500 billion and a trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide each year. Of those, millions end up in the litter stream outside of landfills—estimates range from less than one to three percent of the bags. Recycling plastic grocery bags by turning them into plarn we can help save the planet, and create great handmade crafts.
To Make Plarn you’ll need:
- Plastic Grocery Bags
How To Make Plarn:
- Neatly tuck and fold side, smooth bag flat.
- Fold bag in half lengthwise, half again, and half one last time.
- Cut handles off the end.
- Cut bag into 1″ strips, or thicker.
- Clip all the way down the bag, and trash the bottom piece. Open strips to reveal plastic rings.
- Join strips, by using a larks head knot. Continue to link strips.
- Wrap your plarn into a ball.
Following are patterns for creating handmade plarn projects.
Anything you can crochet with yarn, can be made with plarn. Lets recycle, resue, and reduce.